Thursday, November 12, 2009

Yearn for your mate!


Do you remember your first telephone conversation with your spouse? If your conversation was anything like mine, I bet your laughing right about now. I remember it like it was yesterday.

” Hello, may I speak to Kee-lieus” I asked, unsure if I pronounced his name correctly.
” This is Kellus!” he said- his strong baritone voice boldly correcting my mistake.

I felt awful. In fact, the first 30 minutes of our conversation, I felt the urge to apologize. A little later, I became more and more comfortable wtih the voice on the other end of the line. And, from that day forward, we would chat on the phone for hours at a time on each call. The mystery of “who is this person” was revealing itself to me little by little-after each conversation. I wanted to know it all and didn’t want to give a second of our talk-time to silence. I yearned for him.

Now that we are married, with a toddler and a little girl on the way, it seems hard to find the time for those “unimportant” conversations; for those sweet small talks. I am a stay at home mom, so I am very busy with our son during the day. When my husband arrives home, these days I find myself itching for a break so I can lay down and relax. Life suddenly appears a routine.

The Lord had to show me that we need to sacrifice to get to know each other more. In marriage, growth is crucial. In fact, in life you will either move one or two ways: closer or apart.
When I say sacrifice, I mean, drop the kids off at a sitter. Put the kids to bed early. Pick a day of the week or two nights a month and designate them as “Date Night”.

Wouldn’t you like to get the same butterflies in your stomach- you know, like the ones you once had during those first phone conversations and dates? If so, make time for them. Trust me, it will only benefit your marriage.
Let’s yearn for time with our spouses- as much as Solomon yearned for his wife; his Beloved.

“My dove in the clefts of the rock,  in the hiding places on the mountainside,  show me your face,  let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely.” Song of Solomon 2:14

0 comments: